Building and contents insurance offers the home owner and their family peace of mind against unforeseeable events. Understanding what type of insurance and level of cover is right for your property and its contents can be complex and of course you want to ensure you get the best policy at a price to suit your budget.

Buildings insurance is not a legal requirement but most mortgage providers will make it a condition that you are insured before they lend to you. It covers for unexpected events that might occur, such as fire, water damage, subsidence or explosions. Buildings insurance will protect your roof, walls, outbuildings and fixtures and fittings. The cost of your insurance will be based on variables such as the age of your property, the number of rooms, the type of construction, where you live and past claims. Our team of experts will be able to research the market to ensure you get the best cover for you and your property.

Contents insurance covers all the items within your property against loss, damage or theft., These belongings include furniture, electricals, curtains, carpets, jewellery, clothing, laptops, desktop computers, mobiles, tablets and works of art. Our advisors can help you find the right cover to protect your treasured possessions.

There are two types of contents insurance - ‘new for old’ policies and ‘wear and tear’ policies. ‘New for old’ policies will offer the full cost of repair or replacement of damaged or destroyed items whereas the cheaper ‘wear and tear’ policies will repair damaged goods with a reduction for depreciation. The Limetree team can advise on the type and amount of cover you will need, taking into account previous claims, where you live and what contents you own.

The Cambridge based Limetree team have over 75 years’ industry experience. Being an independent advisor means we are free to offer the best deals available therefore you can be certain of impartial advice. With a commitment to getting the ideal buildings and contents insurance policies that matches the requirements of your property and possessions as well as your budget, we will ensure your assets are protected.

Our friendly team will offer you unbiased advice. We will ensure you understand every aspect of the policies we recommend and you can rest assured that we will avoid the use of industry terms and jargon, our role is to help you make the best decision for you and your family. For more information on our buildings and contents insurance call us on 01223 266140.

Latest insurance posts

Why using an adviser for insurance cover is worth the investment.

It is very common for people to turn to comparison sites to research life cover and home insurances.  It’s easy and convenient, but you may be unaware of the consequences of getting the wrong type of cover. If you don’t know what you’re looking for, you’ll usually be offered fairly generic polices.

If you want a policy that meets your individual circumstances, it is always a sensible idea to seek expert advice. An independent adviser can give you guidance on the products that best suit your needs and discuss options within your budget.

Here are a few reasons why going to an adviser for your protection is a smart decision:

  • Understand your options better: Insurers won’t always offer you every type of cover when you go directly to them. Advisers can help point out the types of cover available from the insurers and help you to work out what you need.
  • Obtain the correct cover: An adviser will ask you about your personal circumstances to find you the right policy. They will also be able to tell you if you’re already covered by your existing insurance policies so your covers do not overlap, and they will often get you a good deal by comparing prices and product features.
  • Receive specialist advice: On comparison sites you might not find cover for an area you need cover for – like income protection – that needs to be tailored to suit your needs, or a critical illness policy if you have a specific medical condition.
  • More easily complete the medical underwriting process: Everyone is medically underwritten for insurance. This means that on application you’ll be asked a series of medical questions to determine your health and the level of risk you present to the insurer; and sometimes insurers require further medical evidence in the form of a GP report or a medical exam. This is where having an adviser is useful, as they can guide you on the best provider for you given your disclosures. An adviser can also manage your expectations on time frames and the potential outcome if it is something that may affect what you are offered (an exclusion, or an increased premium for example).